New application round for NATO DIANA (Defence Innovation Accelerator for the North Atlantic) kicks off in the spring of 2024!
NATO DIANA accelerator aims to support deep technology startups that contribute to national security and defence by bringing together talented innovators and end users of new technologies. Dual-use technologies are developed in the accelerator, i.e. the technologies can be used for both civil and defence purposes. NATO DIANA accelerator primarily enables Estonian and nearby region startups to develop their product and business model and find cooperation partners in the Alliance-wide defence market, which is traditionally closed and has high entry barriers.
All companies admitted to the accelerator receive a grant of €100,000, with the possibility for the best ones to receive an additional €300,000 in funding. In addition, companies can expect a high-quality 6-month training program, access to over 90 test centers, a program bridging defence and business sectors, and a network of top mentors across the alliance. DIANA builds a bridge between universities, businesses, and the public sector, with the aim of supporting the development of innovative technologies that help address civilian and defence sector challenges and lead us towards a more sustainable and secure world.
The accelerator in Estonia is led by the Tehnopol Startup Incubator together with the Sparkup Tartu Science Park and the business accelerator Startup Wise Guys. The funding to start the accelerator in Estonia comes from the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications with support from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Defence and the city of Tallinn. Estonian contributors to building the pan-Alliance network of testing centres are TalTech, the University of Tartu, Foundation CR14, the National Defence College, the Estonian Academy of Security Sciences, and the Estonian Aviation Academy.
Applications are welcomed from startups across NATO with novel ideas to help solve critical defence and security problems. If you’re working on cutting-edge solutions in these areas, we want to hear from you:
- Sensing and Surveillance – Sensing the Coastal Undersea Environment
- Energy Resilience – Harnessing Microgrid Technologies for Disaster and Conflict Recovery
- Secure Information Sharing – Truly Reliable and Unquestionably Secure Technology Challenge (TRUST)
Companies accepted into the DIANA accelerator programme gain access to:
- grants to support technology development and demonstration, and participation in the DIANA accelerator programme
- 10+ accelerators across the Alliance, with more planned over the coming years
- 90+ test centres (with more planned) across the Alliance where entrepreneurs can de-risk, and demonstrate and validate their proposed dual-use technological solutions
- mentoring from scientists, engineers, industry partners, end users, and government procurement experts
- an investor network for trusted third-party funding
- opportunities to demonstrate technology in operational environments
- pathways to market within the NATO enterprise and 31 Allied markets
Find out more: https://www.diana.nato.int/.
Have any questions?
Community and Communications Manager of the NATO DIANA Accelerator